Hello everyone and Happy Halloween 2009!
Since Wednesday, I've been reading countless "Top Horror" and "Top Scary" films by readers, journalists and various websited just to see what everyone's opinions are. Every year about this time, lists like this bombard the internet and movie/entertainment magazines and to be really honest with you, I have yet to find one that impresses me. I'm not going to get into the reasons why (if you're reading this you probably can guess) so I decided to show my top 30 (randomized, of course). Let me know what you all think. What did I miss? And what did I overlook? At any rate, hope you guys have a great Halloween and be careful when you're out on the 31st! Watch those kids! =).
30. Shock (1977) - A woman and her husband and son move into a house that houses a horrible secret. Also known as "Beyond the Door II"
29. Inferno (1980) - Sequel to "Suspiria" and the second film in the "Three Mothers" trilogy. Great atmosphere.
28. Ghosthouse (1988) - A HAM-radio operator hears voices that lead him to an abandoned house where a dead girl and her clown doll haunt the place. Read my review on this blog.
27. The Bird With the Crysal Plumage (1970) - A writer is stalked after witnessing an attempted muder in an art gallery. Fantastic.
26. Prom Night (1980) - Someone in a mask is stalking a group of friends who witnessed the death of his kid sister years before. Great twist ending.
25. Intruder (1989) - Last of the great 80's slahers. Just think "Friday the 13th" in a local grocery store. Cameos by Sam and Ted Raimi and Bruce Campbell make this a lost classic. Great gore, get this one uncut if you can find it.
24. Curtains (1983) - A group of actresses meet up at a house to audition for a famous director's next film. But who is killing them off one by one? A genre classic!
23. Night Warning (Butcher Baker, Nightmare Maker) (1983) - A young boy is left in the care of his aunt when his parents die in a horrible car crash. But what's up with auntie? And why is she so obsessed with him? And a gay love triangle to boot! Strange film - read my review on this blog
22. The Beyond (1981) - Woman inherits a hotel in New Orleans that sits on one of the seven doors of hell. Not bad. Another classic.
21. Visiting Hours (1982) - Liberalist news reporter (the always awesome Lee Grant) is stalked and brutally beaten by a disturbed individual (the ULTRA-awesome Michael Ironside) and when he finds out all he did was maim her, he goes to the hospital she's in to finish the job! Creepy!
20. Burt Offerings (1976) - The best haunted house film in the world, with one of the BEST endings ever. Read my review on this blog!
19. Happy Birthday to Me (1981) - Someone is picking off the high class kids at the local school. But who it is? Great twist ending!
18. Pieces (1982) - A chainsaw-wielding killer is stalking girls at the local college to make a human puzzle. Sleazy and ridiculously entertaining! Read my review on this blog.
17. Don't Go In the House! (1980) - A disturbed man stalks women and burns them alive in his home. Genuinely creepy.
16. Haute Tension (2003) - The only film on this list from the 21st century. And for good reason.
15. Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984) - A young boy watches as Santa Claus kills his mother and father...and then gets a job years later at a toy store where several murders take place. Grisly sleazly! Read my review on this blog.
14. The Burning (1981) - Dismissed as a "Friday the 13th" ripoff, slasher fans know better. Read my review on this blog.
13. Tenebre (1982) - Fantastic giallo about a writer being stalked while everyone associated with his latest book murdered in grueseome ways. And a closing credit sequence you will NEVER forget!
12. I Spit On Your Grave (1978) - Woman goes out into the woods to write her next novel to be gang raped by a group of thugs (one mentally-challenged). She recovers and gets her revenge on each one. Reprehensible and extremely disturbing. Watch at your own risk.
11. The House on Sorority Row (1983) - Sorority girls play a prank on the house mother that goes horribly wrong. One of the genre's BEST. And by all means and at all costs - stay away from the re-make!
10. Killer Party (1986) - Overlooked film about a group of girlfrieds being inducted into a sorority on "Goat Night" in the house where one of theirs had been murdered. Cheesy...but awesome!
9. Maniac (1980) - Extremely bizarre and disturbing film about a man who lost his mother to prostitution and is now a killer of such. Graphic...it will stay in your head for days. Read my review on this blog!
8. Demons (1985) - Patrons going to see a horror film at a local theater become mindless demons. One of my all-time favorites. Read my review on this blog!
7. Friday the 13th/Friday the 13th - part 2 (1980/1981) - These 2 are self explanatory. Halloween is NOT Halloween unless I screen the sequel! Read both reviews here on this blog!
6. Black Christmas (1974) - A sorority house is plagued with bizarre phone calls as the pledges are murdered one by one. Great slasher!
5. Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Sleeper slasher with the most bizarre twist ending ever.
4. My Bloody Valentine (1981) - The town of Valentine Bluffs is being stalked by a masked killer. Is it Harry Warden come back for his revenge?! One of my all-time favorites.
3. Nightmare (1980) - Ultra-disturbing film about a man who goes on a killing spree in south Florida. NOT for the faint of heart.
2. Stage Fright (1987) - Superb Italian entry about an escaped mental patient who terrorizes a group of thespians rehearsing a play at the local theater. Fantastic!
1. Suspiria (1977) - Beautiful film about an American ballet student who enrolls at a German dance academy only to find that the school is a front for a coven of witches. My all time favorite. Superb in every way!
Have a great Halloween!